Community Development School
Learning principles to transform communities.
Course Info Bar
“And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.”
What is CDS
What is CDS?
Transformed hearts, minds, and lives
Christians have a vital role in facilitating sustainable development. We have a role in seeing communities changed through the restoration of broken relationships between people, between “man” and God, and between “man” and creation. Through our connections, we can demonstrate an integrated approach that addresses all areas of life: physical, social, and spiritual. The key is people—transformed hearts, minds, and lives—resulting in transformed communities, societies, and nations.
The Community Development School provides an overview of the issues involved in walking with communities to be transformed toward God’s intentions. CDS focuses on a Biblical understanding of the root causes of poverty, underdevelopment, and the strategies needed to enable people to overcome the hurdles to their community’s transformation.
Purpose of CDS
Purpose of CDS
- Apply and integrate biblical worldview, starting personally, and then into various spheres of society with the goal of moving people/communities/nations toward God’s intentions.
- Facilitate holistic growth towards God’s intentions in targeted communities and nations, resulting in a fuller expression of the kingdom of God.
- Be effective multipliers of community development from a Biblical Christian perspective that leads to transformation.
Discuss. Be equipped. Go.
During the lecture phase of the Community Development School, experienced practitioners will share biblical truths, principles, methods, insights, and models of community development which are essential for the transformation of communities. The blend of teachers, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds provides a rich environment, allowing for the cross-pollination of ideas. As well as dynamic and lasting relationships.
How can we expect to transform and disciple nations if we do not take personal steps of transformation and discipleship? Confirming YWAM’s value of doing first then teaching, CDS specializes in taking practical steps to live out a biblical worldview.
We will navigate topics that touch on all spheres of society and focus on reconciling them back to God (Colossians 1:15-19). You will have opportunities to take those steps personally so that you will have the experience and foundation to help you serve the various communities of the world.
During this school, along with your classmates, you will have an opportunity to prayerfully plant seeds in the community through acts of service. Learn how to give legs to a dream through tried and true guidelines and feedback from your staff.
During this course, you will study:
- Biblical Basis for Relief and Development
- Christian Worldview and Integration
- Development Principles
- Community Assessment and Planning
- Working Effectively Cross-Culturally
- Global Issues Affecting Development